Re: [leafnode-list] Odd one.

Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> No, I just want something that I have proved to be reliable.  I don't have the
> know-how to contribute to development, although I don't mind running simple
> tests on request.  If you asked me for a back-trace or similar, I wouldn't
> know where to start.  I am basically an "end-user."  1.9.19 was O.K. by me -
> basically all I need is a local database of postings.  I don't use filters.
> That said, i am a great fan of leafnode.  Mandrake 9.0 uses 1.9.24, and I have
> been using 1.9.29 since it came out.
>
> I installed 1.9.33 using checkinstall, but I still had to configure xinetd,
> using the FAQ.  The Mandrake RPMs update xinetd and put texpire in
> cron.daily.  I only have to set up the config file, and add to hosts.allow
> and hosts.deny.  Mandrake is getting a bit like Windoze. They put things in
> non-standard places, so only their own packages will install without
> problems, or at least a minor config exercise.  I can't speak for the other
> distros.

These question are addressed to any Linux user: Does your distro offer:

* /etc/xinetd.d and a proper includedir statement in /etc/xinetd.conf?

* /etc/cron.daily?

* What distro are you using?

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/