[leafnode-list] Libwrap refuses connection

I am running Mandrake 9.0 with leafnode 1.9.29.  I am just reinstalling
everything after a failed foray into Mandrake 9.1

Leafnode seems to be running O.K. but knode can't connect.  I get a message
"the connection is broken"  I can start the leafnode daemon, but telnet gets
a response "Connection closed by foreign host."  The entry in syslog is

"libwrap refused connection to nntp from 127.0.0.1"

I have checked the usual: config, xinetd, hosts.allow and hosts.deny and
$NNTPSERVER

Any suggestions please?

Doug.