[leafnode-list] expire vs groupexpire

The config file says,

## Unread articles will be deleted after this many days if
## you don't define special expire times. Mandatory.
# expire = 20 is default
expire = 20

The man says,

expire = 5
     "expire" is the number of days an article should be kept around. In the
      example, five days after the article has last been read, it is deleted
      by texpire (8).

The config file implies that the expire parameter applies to "Unread article"
whereas the man implies the number of days since last read.

I would like to have a global setting so that "Unread (never read) articles
are deleted after 20 days. However, I want articles that have been read to not
be deleted for 30 days for all groups.

Would I do something like:

groupexpire * = 30
groupexpire spamcop* = 10

However, does not this override expire=20??

I guess I am confused as to how one can hold read articles longer than unread
articles?

Thanks.