[leafnode-list] Problems with leafnode

I used the command host hostname as per William Hoopers suggestion, and the
resulting error message was:
pfj@linux:~>host hostname

In the leafnode README file it sais to use telnet and connect to your ISP to
find out your  unique fully-qualified domain name (FQDN)
I can connect using telnet and the server accepts my user name and pasword but
then just states Authentication successful.
Speaking to the help desk at my isp is useless.  They don't know what I'm
taking about and just keep telling me that such a FQDN is not possible as a
random ID is generated each time I log on.
So what now.  I'm stuck.