Re: [leafnode-list] Pulling non-interesting groups

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx>
To: leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 02:46:33 +0200
Subject: Re: [leafnode-list] Pulling non-interesting groups

> Mike Vanecek schrieb am 2003-04-25:
>
> > I have cross-posts limited to 5. However, leafnode seems to pull a rather
> > large number of groups that are not in the interesting.groups list. I
assume
> > this is done because of the cross-post issue?
>
> Cross-posts only trigger group reads when you actually read those groups
> -- or they _MIGHT_ happen if there were still bugs remaining in the
> "request article by Message-ID" code. What news reader are you
> using?

I am using slrn. Currently interesting.groups has about 20 entries. However,
leafnode is probably pulling 70 or 80 messages from about groups of which
about 10 of those groups not in interesting.groups. For example, I have
groups de, dk, uk, and so on which are not referenced in interesting.groups.
When I look at the messages, they are all crossposted to a message that has
been pulled and listed in interesting.groups.

Do these groups surface in interesting.groups?

No.

> Note that cross-posts are only ever fetched once regardless of how many
> groups they are posted into. Groups not in interesting.groups are never
> fetched -- articles populating these groups indeed appear if and
> only if create_all_links is nonzero.

Well, I am getting a lot of articles that are not in interesting.groups.

> > Can leafnode be set to only pull the interesteing.groups list?
>
> That's how leafnode works.

I guess I got a bug in my install. I'd like to see those articles not in
interesting.groups go away and stop being pulled.

> > Would that be accomplished by setting cross-posts to zero?
>
> Try setting "create_all_links = 0" in your /etc/leafnode/config.

I use mesage reference to score/kill in slrn. Won't changing that impact on
my ability to do that? I will change it and watch for a while to see if the
problem goes away.