Re: [leafnode-list] Pulling non-interesting groups

"Mike Vanecek" <leaf_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Cross-posts only trigger group reads when you actually read those groups
>> -- or they _MIGHT_ happen if there were still bugs remaining in the
>> "request article by Message-ID" code. What news reader are you
>> using?
>
> I am using slrn. Currently interesting.groups has about 20 entries. However,
> leafnode is probably pulling 70 or 80 messages from about groups of which
> about 10 of those groups not in interesting.groups. For example, I have
> groups de, dk, uk, and so on which are not referenced in interesting.groups.
> When I look at the messages, they are all crossposted to a message that has
> been pulled and listed in interesting.groups.
>
>> Do these groups surface in interesting.groups?
>
> No.

Well, then I maintain that these are crossposted articles, and not
natively fetched.

> I guess I got a bug in my install. I'd like to see those articles not in
> interesting.groups go away and stop being pulled.

"go away" will happen as per the ordinary expire schedule. (You should
be able

>> > Would that be accomplished by setting cross-posts to zero?
>>
>> Try setting "create_all_links = 0" in your /etc/leafnode/config.
>
> I use mesage reference to score/kill in slrn. Won't changing that impact on
> my ability to do that? I will change it and watch for a while to see if the
> problem goes away.

I don't think it will harm your score. I assume slrn is looking at a
single group at a time, the References: and Newsgroups: headers are
unaffected by this option. (So software can still see the article has
been crossposted.) However, the XRef: header will be different, as it
won't include the crossposted-into groups that aren't marked in
interesting.groups.

Example: Assuming you have "groups.a" (but not "groups.b") in
interesting.groups and an article is crossposted to "groups.a and
groups.b", then with create_all_links = 1, fetchnews will create both
groups and link the article into each of these two (letting groups.b
spring to life although you haven't requested it), and with
create_all_links = 0, leafnode will just link the article into groups.a,
without creating and populating groups.b.

In the same example, you can safely kill the links for groups.b with
"rm -r /var/spool/news/groups/b"; you'll need to use create_all_links=0
to prevent the group from coming back.

I hope this clears up what the option does.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/