Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews doesn't connect

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Frank Hrebabetzky schrieb am 2003-04-30:
>
> > Did that. Result:
> >
> > 	trying 200.176.2.164...
> >
> > After about 2 minutes I killed it with Ctrl-C.
>
> Then the problem is outside leafnode (Note that 1.9.38 is current.
> 1.9.19 is very buggy and should not be used.)
>
> Then you'll have to ask the operators of news.terra.com.br what is wrong
> with their news server.

In order to have a firmer base for discussions with my provider (who
doesn't provide support for Linux), I would like to understand what telnet
. 119 does. I only know telnet as a facility to use my computer as a
remote terminal for another computer. But with respect to a news server
and with that magical number as argument? Can it be explained in a few
words? "man telnet" didn't help me much.