[leafnode-list] Re: Filtering crossposts to gmane.spam.detected

On Tue, May 06 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> My question is: Does leafnode (2.0.x) take advantage of XOVER for
>> filtering?  Which filter criteria is the most efficient in this case.
>
> Yes, it does. I can't say if XRef is visible to the filter offhand. If
> not, I'll make sure your filter (1) will work:
[...]
>> pattern = ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]gmane\.spam\.detected$
>> action = kill
>
> That would only hide the spam, but not prevent downloading it.

Interesting.  Maybe this should be mentioned in filterfile(5) (unless
it already is)?

[...]
>> pattern = ^Xref:.* gmane\.spam\.detected:
[...]
> Fetchnews wasn't up to this job, it didn't include the Xref in the
> header it filtered on.

Do I understand you correctly: fetchnews first uses XOVER and then
ARTICLE, no HEAD.  So saving bandwidth is only possible for the
`standard' XOVER fields: From, Subject and (with your new patch) Xref.

> Try this patch and let me know if it works (debugmode=33 will log
> the headers fetchnews creates from XOVER when it filters, provided
> you're using enough -v options on the fetchnews command line):

I'll try it.  Any particularities I need to consider when upgrading
from 2.0.0.alpha20021108a (maybe with one or two patches related to
bugs I reported)?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,