Re: [leafnode-list] I'm in trouble with posting

Eva <eva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all!
> First of all sorry for my english :D
> I would like to explain my problem, for which i have found no solutions on the
> net (both google and usenet).
> I have installed leafnode 1.9.33 on my slackware 8.1, and it works great.
> But i have problems about posting (from root, i don't use user with sudo). I
> can post only from  inside /var/spool/news/out.going/

That's a bug in leafnode 1.9.33.

The easy solution is to upgrade to leafnode v1.9.40.

If you want to continue using 1.9.33 instead, there is a workaround. You
can run fetchnews from a tiny shell script like this (adjust the path to
fetchnews on your last line if necessary, for example
/usr/sbin/fetchnews):

#! /bin/sh
cd /var/spool/news
exec /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews "$@"

Save these three lines as "run-fetchnews.sh", chmod 755 run-fetchnews.sh
and run "run-fetchnews.sh -Pvv".

> case it's the /root , and he find no permissions. So, why he try to post
> messages from the current directory and not from
> /var/spool/news/out.going/ ?

It tries to save the current working directory, but it has dropped the
"root" privileges and become the unprivileged "news" user at that time,
so it can no longer open the current working directory (which belongs to
the root user and evidently doesn't have read permission for other
users).

> I cannot understand this thing! I know there are some problems with
> permissions and owners, but i don't know howto resolve this. =)
> My access permissions to some (maybe) interesting directorys are these
> :

The permissions you have shown are fine. So either use the script above
or upgrade to 1.9.40.

Please apologize the inconvenience.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/