Re: [leafnode-list] check_date problem

"D.J. Bolderman" <list-leafnode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Matthias,
>

>> Is your clock set correctly? The Received: headers of this mail reveal
>> that your mail travelled one hour and fourteen seconds to Würzburg
>> University which is the same time zone as yours. Assuming one hour off
>> and one hour off (DST issues) at easynews, both of you off might also be
>> a scenario. Check "env LC_TIME=C TZ=UTC date", it must be exactly two
>> hours before (less than) the real time.
>
> I did the check, and the output shows exactly 2 hours earlier than my current
> time. The original post to this list had some problems. I received a
> return message that some quota on the other end was exceeded ? Maybe
> that's got something to do with it ?

That's an artifact of this mailing list (BeroList 2.5.9) -- I asked
Cornelius if it's possible to replace it by Mailman 2.1.2, but haven't
yet seen a response. (OTOH, I don't know what it takes to make Mailman
play together with Roxen Challenger which servers
www.leafnode.org. SourceForge still use a screwed version of Mailman 2.0
-- 2.0 itself isn't nearly as good as 2.1, and sourceforge disabled some
features...)

> I just sent a test message to a webmail account, but it showed the
> right time.
>
>> Easynews' software would not be the first to have a faulty "DATE"
>> implementation
>
> Well, I just telnetted into easynews, and the here's what DATE gives:
> 20030618222856
>
> And your check on my server gives
>
> Wed Jun 18 22:29:15 UTC 2003

Looks sane. Does fetchnews still complain? If so, and if your leafnode
version is 1.9.34 or newer, I'd like to know that because 1.9.34 is the
last version that changed relevant code.

> Ok let's see how this mail travels to Würzburg ;)

Bit by bit ;-) it took two seconds until their virus scanner provided
that clocks are accurate to the second (NTP or something).