Re: [leafnode-list] check_date problem

"D.J. Bolderman" <list-leafnode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On do, 19 jun 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>> Could you set up news.debug or news.* all logging in
>> /etc/syslog.conf, set debugmode=1 in /etc/leafnode/config and run
>> fetchnews -vvv? Then grep the log for check_date:
>
> fetchnews[21569]: check_date: news.easynews.com: server time
> 1055985620, our time 1055985620
>
> Note: I run fetchnews every 15 minutes, but I don't get the error
> message every 15 minutes. So in this test it's ok, but I will keep the
> debugmode on for the rest of this night, and will check tomorrow
> morning. I'm starting to think that after all this could be indeed a
> easynews problem....

Maybe they have a load balancer and one of the machines has a clock that
is off by some time. xntp has the nasty habit of exiting when the offset
it too large, or they may not be running NTP.

> bolserv:~# perl -MPOSIX -e > 'print POSIX::time, "\n";'
> No code specified for -e.
>
> Ehm ? :)

Remove the > after the -e. Oh, and type:
rm -f 'print POSIX::time, "\n";'

perl -MPOSIX -e 'print POSIX::time, "\n";'

But I don't think this will reveal a problem if the time matched for
this run you've shown. Apparently, the time zone compensation is
working, and one of the easynews.com boxes needs ntpdate run and ntp
restarted...

--
Matthias Andree