[leafnode-list] Leafnode not touching interesting.groups

After a time not using my local leafnode I came back to it.  Thinking I
knew what was supposed to happen I did
#  touch /leafnode/news/interesting.groups/*
to that I wouldn't lose my subscriptions then ran fetchnews.

All good for a couple of days but then groups started being unsubscribed
by fetchnews and sure enough the mtime on the files in interesting.groups
had not changed.

Looking more carefully they don't change whatever I do - read or post. The
exception is if I subscribe to a previously unread group and read the
dummy article which properly creates a file in interesting.groups but
subsequently the time on that file isn't updated.

eg an ls -l fro a newly subscribed group gives:

    -rw-rw-r--    1 news     news            0 Jun 26 10:22
uk.media.radio.archers

which is unchanged after reading the group.

In the time I wasn't useing leafnode various things have been updated on
my machine (from the bash shell to the kernel several times) but neither
Leafnode nor Slrn have been changed.

# slrn --version

    Slrn 0.9.7.4 [2002-03-13]
    S-Lang Library Version: 1.4.5
    Compiled at: Jul  9 2002 00:54:02
    Operating System: Linux

# uname -a

    2.4.20-18.8 #1 Thu May 29 07:40:27 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

>From ~/.slrnrc

    %SERVER to NEWSRC mapping
    server "localhost" ".jnewsrc"

>From /var/log/secure

    Jun 26 09:57:36 myhostname xinetd[914]: START: nntp pid=2088
from=127.0.0.1
    Jun 26 09:57:36 myhostname leafnode[2088]: connect from 127.0.0.1
(127.0.0.1)

Deeply Puzzled.

Matthew