Re: [leafnode-list] NNTP Server Went Away

on 7/7/03 2:16 PM, Matthias Andree at ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Jeff Grossman <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> This is all I have in the logs for stunnel:
>>
>> Jul  7 08:20:07 apple stunnel[321]: SecureNetscapeNNTP connected from
>> 127.0.0.1:
>> 47011
>> Jul  7 08:23:16 apple stunnel[321]: remote connect #2 (204.29.187.156:563):
>> Conn
>> ection timed out (110)
>> Jul  7 08:23:16 apple stunnel[321]: Failed to initialize remote
>> connection
>
> And it is sufficient. stunnel accepts leafnode's connection and only
> after that tries to connect with TCP to 204.29.187.156 port 563 -- that
> fails, so stunnel finally drops the connection to leafnode, and leafnode
> correctly reports "server went away" -- that's all it can see, and
> that's the best effort stunnel can make when it strives to maintain
> portability with the systems it works on today.
>
> Now watch this, tried from two different networks:
>
> $ telnet 204.29.187.156 563
> Trying 204.29.187.156...
> telnet: connect to address 204.29.187.156: Connection timed out
>
> There isn't anything you can fix on your end, but looking at the DNS, I
> find the whole setup a bit mysterious:
>
> $ host -t any secnews.netscape.com
> secnews.netscape.com    CNAME   secnews.aoltw.net
> secnews.aoltw.net       CNAME   ripley.aoltw.net
> ripley.aoltw.net        A       204.29.187.156
>
> $ host -A secnews.netscape.com
> *** ripley.aoltw.net address 204.29.187.156 maps to hostname
> h-204-29-187-156.netscape.com
> *** Hostname ripley.aoltw.net does not belong to address 204.29.187.156
> *** Not all addresses for hostname ripley.aoltw.net have a matching hostname.
>
> Looks like some homebrew solution and not at all like "I am claiming to
> be #1 provider"... (aoltw.net is AOL, Dulles, VA, US)
>
>> I will probably have to put stunnel in debug mode to get more information in
>> the logs.
>
> Won't help. If you want to invest time, figure a Netscape contact
> address and send them a fax/give them a phone call or send an email if
> their MX server isn't ripley.aoltw.net :-)

Matthias,
Thanks for the information.  Now that I know Leafnode is operating as it
should, I am not worried about the errors.  I just didn't want to let a
problem go without mentioning it in case it was a larger issue.

Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman (jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx)