Re: [leafnode-list] What happens on a crash?

Thanks Matthias and sorry if I have inconvenienced you.  As I said, I didn't
want to trouble you with the ppp problem.  I am using Mandrake 9.0 with KDE
3.0.3 and the kppp that came with it in a dial-up situation.  My modem is an
internal one with a Conexant chip, and I am using the appropriate Conexant
driver.  I found on a Google group that someone was able to make it more
reliable by adding to /etc/resolv.conf the ISP's DNS, notwithstanding that
Mandrake claim that this is unnecessary.   I have tried picking the DNS from
/var/log/messages or ppp, but it seems to vary.

My Leafnode is  1.9.29.rel.  I did try a version which came out a few months
back, but had problems with it.  I thought that the repeat entries
represented messages I had downloaded before the crash.

As regards setting the FQDN, I also found out something in the last couple of
days.  In Debian, all that is required is to edit /etc/hostname.  Neither Red
Hat nor Mandrake (which is based on Red Hat anyway) has /etc/hostname, only
/etc/hosts.  According to the post, Red Hat sets its hostname somewhere in
the sysconfig group of files.  Mandrake is no doubt similar - I haven't
looked.  I change the hostname with linuxconf, but I have to add the new
hostname to /etc/hosts.

Regards,

Doug.

--
Linux: in a world without fences, who needs Gates?
--and what's more, it's immune to viruses.