Re: [leafnode-list] Newbie questions - 1

-------------------
On Wednesday 27 August 2003 16:36, you wrote:
| -------------------
|
| On Tuesday 26 August 2003 18:24, you wrote:
| | Steve Mansfield <syntax@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
| | > -------------------

| | > How would I see this? Is it logged somewhere?
| |
| | You can set debugmode=1 and then look into your news log (refer to
| | TROUBLESHOOTING in README to find out how your /etc/syslog.conf needs to
| | be set up).
|
| Well, the good news is, I seem to have got it working! The bad news is, I'm
| not sure which of the many changes I made actually achieved the result, but
| I'm back to a fairly simple configuration in the CONFIG file, so maybe I'd
| done something stupid earlier. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Well, I found out what the problem was - nothing to do with Leafnode or
Fetchnews.

Having thought I'd sorted everything, I did another Fetchnews and got the
response about 'can't find server with posting privileges' or words to that
effect. But before my router had dropped offline, I tried again - and it
worked!

Then it occurred to me that I sometimes have this problem with web surfing.
Our connection is via an ISDN dial-up router connected to the hub. When the
router is offline and you type in a URL, the router dials-up and connects, as
you'd expect. But sometimes, you get a 'server not found' message. Hitting
'reload' in the browser then connects you. It's as though the router, or
something along the way, is dropping some data during the initial connection.

This concerned me with regard to putting Fetchnews into a cron job. So for the
time being, the crontab precedes the fetchnews command with a 'ping
news.wanadoo.fr -c 1 -w 1'. Wanadoo isn't returning the ping, but at least it
wakes up the router. It remains to be seen how effective this is. If anyone
has a more sensible suggestion (I'm very new to *nix), I'd appreciate hearing
it.