Re: [leafnode-list] Newbie questions - 1

-------------------
On Thursday 28 August 2003 16:09, you wrote:
| Steve Mansfield schrieb am 2003-08-28:
| > Then it occurred to me that I sometimes have this problem with web
| > surfing. Our connection is via an ISDN dial-up router connected to the
| > hub. When the router is offline and you type in a URL, the router
| > dials-up and connects, as you'd expect. But sometimes, you get a 'server
| > not found' message. Hitting 'reload' in the browser then connects you.
| > It's as though the router, or something along the way, is dropping some
| > data during the initial connection.
|
| DNS query are likely to be dropped; using UDP, such data silently
| disappears when the network is down. That would match "server not
| found".
|
| Are you running a local DNS resolver either on the router or your
| computer?
|
| > This concerned me with regard to putting Fetchnews into a cron job. So
| > for the time being, the crontab precedes the fetchnews command with a
| > 'ping news.wanadoo.fr -c 1 -w 1'. Wanadoo isn't returning the ping, but
| > at least it wakes up the router. It remains to be seen how effective this
| > is. If anyone has a more sensible suggestion (I'm very new to *nix), I'd
| > appreciate hearing it.
|
| This should be ok, although I'd suggest using -w10 or something so it
| waits for up to 10 s or the link is up, whichever comes earlier. You may
| need to stuff "193.252.19.30 news.wanadoo.fr" into your /etc/hosts
| though so the ping will start reliably.

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll do that. The router effectively acts as the
DNS server, in that the machines on the network point to it (192.168.0.1) as
their gateway and DNS server.

I noticed something else today. The cron job and Fetchnews are working, but
not collecting the volume of messages I was expecting. (Among others, I'm
subscribed to comp.os.linux.advocacy which normally gets a lot of traffic :-)
). I saw a lot of 'can't parse' messages in the cron log. I added 'nodesc =
1' to the config and am now getting more messages. Is this reasonable?