[leafnode-list] Messages not coming through

Well, I thought I'd got all this licked, but it seems I've still got a
problem. I'm simply not picking up messages from most groups. It looks as
though fetchnews is hitting a problem perhaps caused by one group. Below is
the message I received from my cron job. It looks as though fetchnews is
trying to parse one message as the server's response to the various
newsgroups. The one newsgroup where I am getting responses is
alt.alien.research, and judging by the response below, that's the one causing
the problem. I'll try unsubscribing and see if that helps (I only visit this
newsgroup for cheap entertainment anyway), but any ideas why this is
happening? I seem to remember getting a large number of 'cannot parse'
messages even before subscribing to it.

The Leafnode config file is currently:

## Main NNTP server
server = news.wanadoo.fr
noactive = 1
nodesc = 1

expire = 30		# must be set. Used by texpire to delete old articles
initialfetch = 500	# max messages in new group
minlines = 2		# min length of message
maxlines = 150		# max length of any message
maxbytes = 50000	# max message size
maxage = 28		# ignore messages more than 28 days old
timeout_long = 14	# days of inactivity before fetchnews stops reading NG
timeout_active = 365	# days before re-reading active file

And here's the message from cron:

rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled: cannot parse server reply "  I had the
uncomfortable feeling as they studied me that they knew "
rec.aviation.misc: cannot parse server reply "every thought in my mind;
everything I'd ever done and a vast amount"
rec.autos.vw: cannot parse server reply "about me that I didn't even know
myself. Intuitively, I sensed that"
free.uk.aviation.photography: cannot parse server reply "I stood in a kind of
sp-ritual nakedness before them. Also, I seemed"
alt.os.linux.suse: cannot parse server reply "to be in telepathic
communication with them, for thoughts, "
alt.languages.french: cannot parse server reply "understandings and new
comprehension's that would have required "
alt.linux.suse: cannot parse server reply "hours of conversation to transmit,
flashed through my consciousness."
comp.os.linux.advocacy: cannot parse server reply "  Before those two
incredible Beings I felt that I was only a shadow"
france.basse-normandie: cannot parse server reply "of the shining reality I
sensed them to be. It is difficult to "
soc.culture.french: cannot parse server reply "express my feelings in words,
for my understanding of them was "
alt.france: cannot parse server reply "gained primarily through intuitive
perception."
uk.rec.aviation: cannot parse server reply "  After several moments the two
figures faded and the luminous "
alt.ufo.reports: cannot parse server reply "screen vanished. Again the two
disks flamed into brilliant green "
uk.rec.ufo: cannot parse server reply "fire."
alt.fan.countries.france: cannot parse server reply "  Trembling violently
from weakness and cold perspiration, I was on"
uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled: cannot parse server reply "the point of blacking out
when I heard the voice again. It was more"

All seemed to be going well, and it picked up messages from several groups,
then hit another, similar error. Here's the last part of the session, which
again seems to be trying to parse a single message:

alt.languages.french: cannot parse server reply "220 109320
<pan.2003.08.30.08.13.13.320808@xxxxxxxxxxxx> article"
alt.linux.suse: cannot parse server reply "Path:
wanadoo.fr!proxad.net!proxad.net!newspeer1-gui.server.ntli.net!ntli.net!newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail"
comp.os.linux.advocacy: cannot parse server reply "From: "graham marsden"
<graham.marsden1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>"
france.basse-normandie: cannot parse server reply "Subject: Re: Download
manager with http browsing?"
soc.culture.french: cannot parse server reply "User-Agent: Pan/0.13.3 (That
cat's something I can't explain)"
alt.france: cannot parse server reply "Message-ID:
<pan.2003.08.30.08.13.13.320808@xxxxxxxxxxxx>"
uk.rec.aviation: cannot parse server reply "Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse"
alt.ufo.reports: cannot parse server reply "References:
<bin00m$kd$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<pan.2003.08.29.12.29.21.123202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
uk.rec.ufo: cannot parse server reply "MIME-Version: 1.0"
alt.fan.countries.france: cannot parse server reply "Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1"
uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled: cannot parse server reply