Re: [leafnode-list] [OT] Re: "Cannot get lock file" + ppp disconnects.

<x-flowed>
Michael Mauch wrote:

Eduard Heimann wrote:

Finally i hacked the kernel: originally the connection timeout gets reset on incoming and outgoing packets (symmetricaly). I commented out the reset on incoming packets, so only outgoing packets from my (sane) inner net keeps the connection alive. Hovever, i didn't find time to propagate my proposal/patch to the linux community, so the official linux kernels still have this problem in spoiled nets...

Doesn't pppd's active-filter option together with CONFIG_PPP_FILTER in the kernel work? I was under the impression that it was made just for these situations.

Regards...
		Michael

My configuration uses ISDN and ipppd. I had to change/fix linux/drivers/isdn/isdn_net and linux/drivers/isdn/isdn_ppp.c. Maybe i'm wrong with my assumptions... however ipppd and pppd are quite similar. I can't say much to CONFIG_PPP_FILTER, since i didn't test ppp well with linux. Of course, the options work! We talk about is a subtle inefficiency (costing a lot) in the European telecom billing system. In the U.S. nobody would ever complain about some connection staying alive for a week ...

My hint: one should check whether there's incoming garbage keeping the connection alive for extended periods of time. [EXTERNAL reason]
The other source of trouble are programs (e.g. named, routed) or scripts (banner-ads in web-browser) doing periodic requests. Or open connections doing retransmits (i.e. a "hanging" program). But, in this case, one gets automatic dialups terminating quickly aqain. This is a very different pattern of costs on your ISP-account. :-( [INTERNAL reason]

Each possible source of error that can be excluded is one step towards an optimal system. Good luck!

Regards, Edi.