Re: [leafnode-list] [OT] Re: "Cannot get lock file" + ppp

Eduard Heimann <eheimann@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> The other source of trouble are programs (e.g. named, routed) or scripts
> (banner-ads in web-browser) doing periodic requests. Or open connections
> doing retransmits (i.e. a "hanging" program). But, in this case, one
> gets automatic dialups terminating quickly aqain. This is a very
> different pattern of costs on your ISP-account. :-( [INTERNAL reason]

Don't run stuff like routed on dialup PPP interfaces. (-:

named shouldn't send periodic requests out unless there are
corresponding internal requests that cannot be satisfied from the cache.

(OTOH, I haven't got first-hand experience since I'm running dnscache
from djbdns rather than named. It's not perfect but works well enough
even with the bugs(*) it has.  (*) Jonathan de Boyne Pollard has a list.)