Re: [leafnode-list] article is above the hight-water mark

Rein Klazes schrieb am 2003-09-02:

> Occasionaly I get the error message "article nnn is above the
> hight-water mark" and the news client aborts its task. From the log of
> Agent newsreader:

Ugh. That's not something Agent should see in the first place.

> | GROUP microsoft.public.excel.programming
> | [*** 21680958 receive line]
> | 211 19568 126499 146066 microsoft.public.excel.programming group selected
> | [*** 21681005 send]
> | XOVER 131581-131581
> | [*** 21681130 receive line]
> | article /var/spool/news/microsoft/public/excel/programming/146067 is above the high-water mark (146066)
> | 224 Overview information for postings 131581-131581:
> | .
>
> The leafnode log shows that fetchnews and leafnode happen to process the
> same group.

Yup. In this case, the group and thus the xover can contain articles
that aren't yet available through GROUP at that time, and that's what
the message is about.

> As far as I can see, it is the *only* reason why this error message can
> be generated.

Correct, it's a race between fetchnews and leafnode that leafnode cannot
fix.

> So is there any reason at all why it should not be removed?

No, there isn't. Leafnode 1.9.43.rel will not print these warnings, and
it will also print all other .overview related warnings to stderr to
keep them out of the NNTP stream.