[leafnode-list] Can't get news from alternate server

I access both a primary and an alternate NNTP server, but I am unable
to get news from the latter. When I run fetchnews with the -vvv option
(adding another `v' doesn't add any more info), I get this message
related to the alternate server and the relevant groups are empty in
Gnus:

Trying to connect to forum.mclink.it ... connected.
Getting new newsgroups from forum.mclink.it
Reading new newsgroups failed.
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/forum.mclink.it
Disconnected from forum.mclink.it.

How can I diagnose the problem? Note that before running fetchnews, I
have subscribed to the groups on forum.mclink.it with Gnus and read
the dummy articles.

My setup is: Debian Woody 3.0r1, Leafnode 1.9.19-7 (the version which
comes with Woody), Gnus 5.10.2 and GNU Emacs 20.7. My primary NNTP
server, which carries worldwide Usenet hierarchies, is
news.mclink.it. The alternate server, forum.mclink.it, carries only
the ISP-local hierarchy mclink.*. Access to forum.mclink.it requires
autentication with user name and password.

I attach my /etc/news/leafnode/config file at the bottom of this
message. The contents of /var/spool/news/leaf.node/forum.mclink.it is:

comp.lang.lisp 1
sci.space.news 1
gnu.emacs.gnus 1
mclink.servizi.mc-comments 1
mclink.servizi.mc-news 1
mclink.servizi.mc-trucchi 1
mclink.servizi.mc-web 1
mclink.rubriche.scienze.astronomia 1

And news.mclink.it in the same directory contains:

comp.lang.lisp 98786
sci.space.news 19036
gnu.emacs.gnus 54001
mclink.servizi.mc-comments 0
mclink.servizi.mc-news 0
mclink.servizi.mc-trucchi 0
mclink.servizi.mc-web 0
mclink.rubriche.scienze.astronomia 0

The complete list of mclink.* groups appears in
/var/spool/news/groupinfo, together with other Usenet hierarchies.

Paolo

## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
server = news.mclink.it

## Unread discussion threads will be deleted after this many days if
## you don't define special expire times. Mandatory.
expire = 20

##
## All the following parameters are optional
##

## I have free access to my news server. If you don't have, comment out
## the following two lines and change them accordingly.
# username = gulbrandsen
# password = secret

## Standard news servers run on port 119. If your newsserver doesn't, comment
## out the following line and change it accordingly.
# port = 8000

## This is another news server which stores some groups that are not
## available on the first one. You can define username, password and port
## for each server separately.
server = forum.mclink.it
username = MyUserName
password = MyPassword

## This is a news server which does not understand the
## "LIST NEWSGROUP news.group" command. For this reason, we don't try to
## download newsgroups descriptions when getting new newsgroups. This is
## achieved by putting "nodesc = 1" somewhere behind the server
## line.
# server = broken.upstream.server
# nodesc = 1

## Here we have another news server which has a very slow connection. For
## that reason, we wait a full minute before we give up trying to connect.
## The default is 10 seconds.
# server = really.slow.snail
# timeout = 60

## Non-standard expire times (glob(7) wildcard constructs possible)
# groupexpire comp.os.linux.* = 5 # groups too big to hold articles 20 days
# groupexpire any.local.newsgroup = 100 # very interesting, hold articles longer

## Never fetch more than this many articles from one group in one run.
## Be careful with this; setting it much below 1000 is probably a bad
## idea.
# maxfetch = 2000

## Fetch only a few articles when we subscribe a new newsgroup. The
## default is to fetch all articles.
initialfetch = 100

## If you want to use leafnode like an offline newsreader (e.g. Forte
## Agent) you can download headers and bodies separately if you set
## delaybody to 1. In this case, fetch will only download the headers
## and only when you select an article, it will download the body.
## This can save a huge amount of bandwith if only few articles are really
## read from groups with lots of postings.
## This feature works not very well with Netscape, though (which is not
## a fault of Leafnode).
# delaybody = 0

## To avoid spam, you can select the maximum number of crosspostings
## that are allowed in incoming postings. Setting this below 5 is
## probably a bad idea. The default is unlimited crossposting.
maxcrosspost = 5

## If you suffer from repeatedly receiving old postings (this happens
## sometimes when an upstream server goes into hiccup mode) you can
## refuse to receive them with the parameter "maxage" which tells the
## maximum allowed age of an article in days. The default maxage is 10
## days.
# maxage = 10

## maxlines will make fetch reject postings that are longer than a certain
## amount of lines.
maxlines = &00

## minlines will make fetch reject postings that are shorter than a certain
## amount of lines.
# minlines = 2

## maxbytes will make fetch reject postings that are larger
maxbytes = 60000

## timeout_short determines how many days fetch gets a newsgroup which
## has been accidentally opened. The default is two days.
# timeout_short = 1

## timeout_long determines how many days fetch will wait before not getting
## an unread newsgroup any more. The default is seven days.
# timeout_long = 6

## timeout_active determines how many days fetch will wait before re-reading
## the whole active file. The default is 90 days.
timeout_active = 365

## If you want to have your newsreader score/kill on Xref: lines, you might
## want to uncomment this.
# create_all_links = 1

## If you want to filter out certain regular expressions in the header,
## create a "filterfile" (how this is done is explained in the README)
## and set
# filterfile = /path/to/your/filterfile

## If your newsreader does not supply a Message-ID for your postings
## Leafnode will supply one, using the hostname of the machine it is
## running on.  If this hostname is not suitable, this parameter can be
## used to override it.  Do not use a fantasy name, it may interfere with
## the propagation of your messages.  Most modern newsreaders do provide
## a Message-ID.
# hostname = host.domain.country