[leafnode-list] newbie - can't get list of groups

Hi,

I installed leafnode but can't connect to any newsgroups
from a client (Netscape).

Here's what I've done so far.

1. Edited /etc/leafnode/config and entered my isp's news server

2. Ran fetchnews and it connected and populated /var/spool/news/leaf.node
with a complete list of newsgroups.

3. Ran leafnode as root from a console.  No arguments.  It seems to be
running. I get a line on the console that says: "200 Leafnode NNTP
Daemon, version 1.9.32.rel running at <myhost.mydomain.com> (my fqdn:
<myhost.mydomain.com>)"

4. Ran Netscape and set up a news server.
  a.  Server name: localhost
  b.  Port: 119

5. Try to get list of groups in Netscape by clicking "Subscribe to
newsgroups".

At this point I seem to be dead in the water.  Netscape just says Please
wait... and never finds any groups.  It never times out and never says
there is any problem connecting.

I also tried changing the Server name in 4.a above to myhost.mydomain.com
but got the same result.

What am I missing?

Environment:
 Mandrake 9.1
 Leafnode installed from: leafnode-1.9.32-1mdk.rpm

Thanks, Frank