Re: [leafnode-list] Closure of this list

Matthias Andree said:

> Now that it's going to be pressing, these are my thoughts on the topics:
>
> * MAILING LISTS
>
> I would like to see the list run by either Mailman 2.1 or, if that isn't
> available, by ezmlm-idx. Either one allows remote administration and
> does not force the user into web interfaces to set options.

[snip]

> I may have the chance to host the stuff on a Mailman 2.1.2 or 2.1.3
> list, we'll know more tomorrow.

[snip]

> If you can offer long-term Mailman 2.1 or ezmlm-idx hosting, let me know.

I can host the list at my domain, vrillusions.com (yeah, shameless plug :)
).  It's hosted at dreamhost.com, which gives me unlimited lists and the
archive doesn't cut into my storage space, at least as far as I am aware.
The list address would be something like leafnode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's running mailmain 2.0.13.  The only downside to it is I do not have
direct access to the mailing list server, so the only way to administer it
is through the web interface.  If it's not there, it can't be done.  Also
the default welcome message can't be changed, so it constantly gives out a
much larger email address and says password reminders will be sent out and
stuff.  I'm pretty much a lurker on this list, and still would be, so I
would just mearly host the list and give the admin password to you or
whoever else runs it.  May not be ideal, but at least it's something to
fall back on.

[snip]

> * DNS AND DOMAIN HOSTING
>
> The open issue. I have no ideas how this all works, and how much it
> would cost to have a freely configurable DNS setup for leafnode.org and,
> if not too expensive, a configurable mail setup that allows for address
> extensions (needed for the list), supports forward and maybe mailboxes
> via ODMR, UUCP or POP3 with reliable multidrop. The el-cheapo hosters
> with "you're getting 5/20/100 mailboxes" usually won't do. We DO need
> one copy per RECIPIENT (not per mail) and a RELIABLE X-Original-To: or
> play.
>
> I can help configure such a thing with Postfix or qmail, and I know it's
> possible with Exim and think it should also be possible with Courier, in
> case someone is offering his rented server, a Linux Virtual Server or
> BSD jail as MX host. The latter might be easiest for you as it'd place
> the configuration burden on myself.
>
> Ideally, we'd have a setup that allowed us to forward list mail for
> someuser+extension@xxxxxxxxxxxx to otherlocal+extension@otherdomain and
> otheruser@xxxxxxxxxxxx to freeform@xxxxxxxxxxxx Postfix and Exim support
> this, qmail after recompilation, sendmail well may stand in its own way
> exposing all local addresses in all virtual domains...
>
> I'd really appreciate if someone else could help with the domain
> hosting, I don't want to crash-land this part.

Umm... not sure exactly what you mean, but there are a couple good free
dns hosts out there.  One is www.zoneedit.com, which allows you to host
the first 5 domains for free, with unlimited everything.  You can even
have backup MX so if something happens to the mail server, zoneedit will
collect it until the server comes back up, that costs extra, though.
Another freebie that I just started looking at is everydns.net.  Right now
I just use it as a slave dns (it pulls info from the zoneedit servers).  I
think you can host more domains on that one, not positive though.  I
personally like zoneedit.com, seems to be easier to administer.