Re: [leafnode-list] Can't seem to get initial news list

Kingsley schrieb am 2004-01-01:

> Since I'm migrating from nntpcache, I still have that running on 119
> so I wanted to run leafnode on 9119.  I set the PORT variable to be such
> assuming this was the port leafnode would listen on.

Ah. The LISTEN port is set in your xinetd configuration, for instance
(assuming a recent xinetd version, such as 2.3.12):

service leafnode
{
        type            = UNLISTED
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        port            = 9119
        server          = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
}

The "type = UNLISTED" line tells xinetd to not go looking for the
service in /etc/services, I assume you're familiar with the other
settings.

> When fetchnews connected to the upstream server, it was this port it
> tried to connect on, and obviously the remote server wasn't listening
> on 9119.  I changed this back to 119 expecting the xinetd startup to stop
> working, but it didn't.... *shrug*

Yup, the "port" lines are for the "fetchnews" client.

> thanks for your help,

Thanks for your follow-up.