[leafnode-list] [Leafnode-announce] Leafnode 1.9.47.rc3 released (RELEASE CANDIDATE)

                 leafnode 1.9.47.rc3 has been released.

Leafnode 1.9.47.rc3 is a testing release that should have production
quality but needs further testing because some bugfixes have been
non-trivial. No new bugs have been reported against .rc2, so this should
be a safe install - the fixed bugs don't usually bite, but only when the
machine is under heavy memory stress.

Please install 1.9.47.rc3, test it and report your findings to the
leafnode-list, which has moved and is now at
leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - for further info, see:

Leafnode 1.9.47.rc3 is available in .tar.bz2 format and as RPM for i486
glibc-2.2 (or newer) based Linux distributions from:

    http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
    rsync://www.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/leafnode-1/

The files are digitally signed with my key 052E7D95 or E65A83DA, please
check the signature after downloading!

Below is the NEWS file excerpt, with changes since leafnode-1.9.46.
The changes since 1.9.47.rc2 are marked with ">" in the left hand
column.

The full ChangeLog ships with the tarballs and can also be viewed online
at http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/ChangeLog.txt

Have fun,
Matthias Andree, Leafnode maintainer

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 ### BUGFIXES
 Note: many of these bugs have been long-standing.
 o Fetchnews: Protocol conformance: no longer ignores lines when the XOVER data
   obtained from the upstream server lacks the 8th field, Xref:. RFC-2980
   suggests, but does not mandate this field. Reported by Brian Sammon.
 o Fetchnews: XOVER mode did not take maxlines, minlines and maxbytes into
   account.
 o Fetchnews: XHDR mode did not take minlines and maxlines into account.
 o Fetchnews: XHDR mode tried to fetch bogus articles when articles had been
   dropped from the fetchlist because of age or size.
 o Fetchnews: XHDR required that Bytes, Date and Lines had been returned in
   exactly the same order as the Message-ID headers and would go out of synch
   if it didn't - but in doubt, would fetch the article. Fixed.
 o Leafnode: will detect "list active.times" when trailing garbage (a group
   name) is present. It used to read it as "list active" instead.
 o Leafnode: XOVER now works without article number and returns data for
   current article.
 o Do not pass uninitialized data to setrlimit() when setting the core file
   size in debugmode.
 o Plugged a minor memory leak.
>o Avoid crashes in XOVER related functions when the OS cannot determine the
>  current working directory.
>o Avoid crashes or data corruption in out-of-memory conditions, replacing
>  strdup by critstrdup.
>o Use $(SHELL) to run ./update.sh when "make update" is typed.

 ### CHANGES
 o fetchnews now supports a new -q option that suppresses the "found no server
   with posting permission" warning, to avoid the "cron sends lots of mail"
   bug. Reported by Joey Hess of Debian.
 o fetchnews now supports a server-specific "noxover" option to force the
   use of XHDR when a server does not work with XOVER.
 o fetchnews will now try to match the "maxcrosspost" parameter against the
   servers in response to the XOVER command. This can avoid the download of
   some, but not all, excessively crossposted articles.
 o The news administrator address, as shown in the placeholder article, is now
   configurable via the new "newsadmin" option. It used to be hardcoded to
   "news@HOSTNAME", where HOSTNAME was replaced by leafnode's hostname.
 o Rebuilt with automake 1.8.

 ### DOCUMENTATION
 o The "port" option description in config.example and leafnode.8 has been
   revised to make clear that it only applies to fetchnews, not the listening
   port.