Re: [leafnode-list] news-to-mail: convert /var/spool/.. to a file in mbox format

Ekkard Gerlach schrieb am 2004-01-19:

> Any script available to convert the news postings hosted
> locally in /var/spool/news/comp/... to
> a mbox file format for each newsgroup? I'm using leafnode-1.9.33.

Please update to 1.9.49 to have some critical bug fixes, including
fetchnews lock-up.

There is no special script needed to convert a single group of
leafnode-1.9 spools to a mbox. Provided your computer has reformail or
formail installed, either of these will do (formail ships with procmail,
reformail comes with maildrop).

for i in /var/spool/news/de/comp/os/unix/bsd/[1-9]* ; do
    formail <$i
done >de.comp.os.unix.bsd.mbox

for i in /var/spool/news/de/comp/os/unix/bsd/[1-9]* ; do
    reformail -f1 <$i
done >de.comp.os.unix.bsd.mbox

You may trick mutt into thinking the newsgroup is a MH folder by just
typing mutt -R -f /var/spool/news/some/news/group/

If that doesn't help, you can still read the mbox you created above, use
filters and sorting to your liking and then copy or save the mails from
within mutt into a new mailbox. Mutt will preserve the order as shown on
the screen.