Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews and logrotate?

"Mike Vanecek" <leaf_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I received the following cron message. From what I can tell the news log file
> reached a size maximum during an active fetchnews. As a result, a large
> portion of the log file to be rotated was lost and, from the message below,
> the leafnode pointers were messed up.

That mustn't happen. If logrotate loses entries, it's misconfigured.

> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:14:41 -0600 (CST)
> Subject: Cron <news@www> /usr/sbin/fetchnews 	All headers
>
> Active has not been fetched completely in previous run
> or has never been fetched, forcing active fetch.
> Warning: skipping group "alt.", invalid name (NULL component).
> Newsgroup name conflict: 3dfx.oem.products.diamond.monster3d vs.
> 3dfx.oem.products.diamond.monster3D

Complain to the maintainers of your news servers for not agreeing on
group names. Leafnode prefers the version with least upper-case
characters.

> # Newslog
> /var/log/newslog  {
>     missingok
>     compress
>     size 2M
>     rotate 3
>     create 0660 root news
> }

Broken. Add these lines:

sharedscripts
postrotate
    kill -1 $(cat /var/run/syslogd.pid)
endscript

before the closing curly brace.

> Obviously, if the rotate occurs when fetchnews is writing to the log,
> confusion will occur.

No. Leafnode does not write to the log, but syslogd does.