Re: [leafnode-list] group ids from two different servers

"Mike Vanecek" <leaf_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> $ cat  server1
> alt.os.linux.redhat 0
> linux.redhat 0
> news.software.readers 0
> spamcop 116388
> spamcop.help 83545
>
> $ cat server2
> alt.os.linux.redhat 31902
> linux.redhat 95660
> news.software.readers 170677
> spamcop 0
> spamcop.help 0

These look sane. Article numbers of different news servers do not
usually match (some servers can be told to be a slave to another server
and use the same numbers, for use behind transparent load balancers).

> A couple of questions. Is this as it should be or have I a problem in my
> configuration? If I edited the group list for each server and removed the "0"
> items, would that cause a problem?

You should not edit these files (there's a reason they aren't documented
and there is no example file), they are for leafnode's internal use.

Use fetchnews -x 1234 to back up and retry the most recent 1234 articles
on groups after you've had file system damage, or set initialfetch in
the configuration file to limit the number of articles looked at when
the group is fetched for the first time.

> As it is, it appears that leafnode asks
> about all groups from both servers. Seems to me this is not needed since the
> group list should just list items to be retrieved from that server? Have I
> missed something in the doco or configuration files?

No, the group list is just fetchnews' memory where it needs to pick up
at the next run. What groups are fetched is determined by
interesting.groups and can optionally be filtered trough the
server-specific configuration parameter only_groups_pcre.