[leafnode-list] leafnode-1.9.50.rc4 available

Hello,

leafnode 1.9.50 release candidate #4 is available at
http://home.pages.de/~mandree/leafnode/

This overhauls texpire which is more capable of fixing news spool
problems now, broken hard links, broken hash (after moving the spool).
Note it cannot fix the loss of /var/spool/news/news/group/1234 files.

Please test, this is supposed to become 1.9.50 a week from now.

It can be downloaded as source .tar.bz2 tarball or as binary RPM for
i486 or better Linux machines with GLIBC 2.2.

Matthias

NEWS since 1.9.49.rel, with changes since 1.9.50 rc #3 highlighted (>):

> ### EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
> + Major texpire bugfixes, it repairs a lot more spool problems, including
>   a move or copy that broke hard links; texpire now updates overview data,
>   to recover from a fetchnews crash.
> + "noactive" option now works for the first time.
> + Checkgroups now adds groups as it should have always done. Useful in context
>   with "noactive" to prime the news group list.

  ### INCOMPATIBLE BUGFIXES AND CHANGES
  + Bugfix: most programs now generate an active from the spool contents when
    they cannot read it, to avoid bogus first/last counter resets.
  + Bugfix: checknews adds groups listed in the checkgroups file that aren't
    already in the groupinfo. Prints them on stderr with " NEW" next to them.
  + Cleanup: made fetchnews logging and console printing more consistent to aid
    debugging. Careful changes to some severities.
  + Conformance: texpire -h now exits 0 (it used to exit with code 1).

  ### BUGFIXES
  + Bugfix: "noactive" has never (since its introduction into 1.9.25) worked as
    documented and still fetched the active file when "forceactive" was set
    (through -f or expiry of timeout_active). Align actual behaviour with the
    documentation. Reported by Andrew Cranson.
> + Bugfix: texpire can now relink (after file system damage) crossposted
>   articles properly.
> + Bugfix: texpire can now move files into the right message.id/XXX directory
>   if they are in the wrong one, so nntpd can find them.
  + Bugfix: texpire now logs errors in addition to printing them.
  + Bugfix: Some format strings for integers in fetchnews.  Harmless on 32-bit
    platforms but can cause crashes or bogus output/logging on 64-bit machines.
  + Bugfix: Plug a memory leak in checkgroups.
  + Bugfix: The pseudo article for an empty group now has a higher number than
    the last article of the group previously had, so it is actually visible in
    news readers. Reported by Andreas Muck.
    Cosmetic side effect: articles in new groups now start at number 3 rather
    than 2 in many configurations. This is harmless.
  + Bugfix: when building an active file from the news spool, use the
    directory's ctime as the creation date.
  + Bugfix: whenever an active file is built from the news spool, this will
    force fetchnews to download the active files completely at the next run.
  + Cleanup: Fetchnews quickly proceeds to the next server when serious trouble
    is encountered during group fetch, that is, premature server disconnect or
    missing credentials or authentication failure.
  + Cleanup: Print NNTP-connect related errors on console as well (not only to
    syslog).
  + Robustness: overview (NOV, XOVER) is now more tolerant with respect to
    leading whitespace, including HTAB characters.
> + Robustness: texpire handles Ctrl-C and "kill -TERM" more gracefully.

  ### PORTABILITY IMPROVEMENTS
  + Portability: PATH_MAX is almost gone, a POSIX system need not define it. If
    it is missing, we assume 4096. PATH_MAX is not used to size static array,
    but only gives the initial array size for dynamically sized strings that
    extend automatically when the size is insufficient.
    This should help the GNU Hurd vaporware should it ever materialize.
  + Portability: Skip autoconf's SETVBUF_REVERSED check on Intel C++.
  + If the compiler is an Intel one, ./configure refrains from adding GCC
    options.

  ### CHANGES
  + Cleanup: update.sh (run by make update, to update spools written by leafnode
    1.6 and older) will now remind the user he has to delete groupinfo.old.
  + Texpire: now updates .overview information should a previous fetchnews run
    have been interrupted hard.
  + Texpire: support -q to suppress all non-error output.
  + Documentation: Updates to texpire, leafnode, fetchnews manual pages.