[leafnode-list] Trying to compile leafnode

Hi

This is my first post to the list - I have checked the archives for
answers but to no avail.

I'm trying to compile leafnode on a Mandrake 9.1 system. I started linux
about 3 months ago, I'm still relatively naive, but very keen!

./compile (as user) seems to work fine, no error messages.
make (as user) generates the usual few pages of text, and a peppering of
"configutil.c:161: warning: implicit declaration of function
`rpl_malloc'" errors.

Finally "make" coughs up this death rattle:

leafnode.h:51: parse error before "__extension__"
leafnode.h:51: warning: implicit declaration of function `rpl_malloc'
leafnode.h:51: `__len' undeclared here (not in a function)
leafnode.h:51: initializer element is not constant
leafnode.h:51: parse error before "if"
leafnode.h:51: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`__retval'
leafnode.h:51: conflicting types for `__retval'
leafnode.h:51: previous declaration of `__retval'
leafnode.h:51: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
leafnode.h:51: parse error before '}' token
make[2]: *** [validatefqdn.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/toby/Documents/downloads/leafnode/leafnode-1.9.33.rel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/toby/Documents/downloads/leafnode/leafnode-1.9.33.rel'
make: *** [all] Error 2

You can see the whole unabridged output here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=769422#post769422post769422

If anyone has any suggestions why this won't compile I'd love to hear
them!
Many thanks,
Toby.