Re: [leafnode-list] Best way to erase downloaded files

Gerry Doris schrieb am 2004-03-05:

> One of my kids tried to access a group called alt.binaries.cd.image and
> when leafnode ran it happily started downloading nearly 140k messages.
> Most of these contain very large binary files!
>
> I noticed what was going on after 12 hours of downloading and stopped the
> process before my disk completely filled up.  This has also prevented
> useful downloads of other groups.
>
> What is the best way to erase both the problem group and all the files
> already downloaded?

If it's about a single group, just typing
rm /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/alt.binaries.cd.image
will unsubscribe you.

You can then remove the newsgroup directory with:
rm -rf /var/spool/news/alt/binaries/cd/image/
(replacing the dots with slashes).

Finally, you will need to run "texpire -f" so the files expire from message.id.

To avoid such accidents, several options are available. They can be
combined and appear in no particular order:

- initialfetch = 300
  (consider at most 300 articles for download for new groups)

- maxbytes = 12000
  (do not download articles that are larger than 12,000 bytes
   Note: this option will need to be replaced by filter file instructions
   for leafnode-2)

- only_groups_pcre = (comp|news|rec)\.
  (to restrict the available groups to all that begin with comp., news.
  or rec.)

The first two options are effective immediately, changing the
only_groups_pcre option requires you to re-run fetchnews -f for now.