Re: [leafnode-list] IPv6 support for fetchnews

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> [Please Cc:, I'm not on this list]
>
> I just noticed that fetchnews unfortunately doesn't support IPv6 connections
> as nntputil.c's nntpconnect function is IPv4-specific. As the only
> newsserver I currently have access to is an IPv6-only one, I'd love to see
> fetchnews support IPv6. I've messed around a bit, using code I contributed
> to slrn and have gotten it to the point where it can establish an IPv6
> socket connection.

Thank you for offering a starting point for IPv6 development.

However, full IPv6 support is already implemented in leafnode-2.

Albeit labeled alpha, it works well for many users. "alpha" is less a
matter of code quality but a matter of "the maintainer is free to make
radical changes at any time without advance notice." (but he will
usually issue advance warnings).

I have no plans on merging IPv6 support into leafnode-1.

leafnode-2 is available for download at
http://home.pages.de/~mandree/leafnode/beta/

--
Matthias Andree, leafnode maintainer