Re: [leafnode-list] Re: mail2news

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 06:55:39PM +0100, Arne Hanssen wrote:
> There is (was) a mail2news program that Jörg Dietrich offered
> some time ago.  He has dropped it because it lost messages,

and required more rewrites and I liked to make it maintainable. I
always planned to write something more reliable and maintainable
myself and also announced this to a couple of people.

I finally got around to do it. mail2news-0.0.0 (aka "Beware of .0
releases") is available from
<http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~dietrich/mail2news/> for those
brave enough to try. This is an early alpha release, it has a few
rough edges, lacks a number of sanity checks and lots of
documentation. Also all command line option supported by the old
C program are missing in this release. It's running without
problems here for a couple of hours now and passed stress tests
with high numbers of emails converted and posted in very short
time. It didn't lose any emails, something I can't say of the old
program in comparable situations.

If you knew how to set up the old program, you'll understand this
one. If not you should probably wait for a more mature release
with more documentation in a few weeks.

It's written in python and currently requires python 2.3 (yet it
uses the rfc822 module which became deprecated in the 2.3 release
...) Nothing for the script haters among us.

Any feedback is most welcome!

-- Jo:rg

--
       ---===  Encrypted mail preferred. Key-ID: 1024D/2B693EBF  ===---
Fortune cookie of the day: