Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode-1.9.53.rc1 available

William Hooper wrote:

> Matthias Andree said:
> [snip]
> > Changes since 1.9.52:
> > + Compatibility: support forgetful servers that require re-authentication
> >   often. Reported by Andrew Cranson.
>
> LOL and I was blaming those errors on something changing at my news server
> (and hadn't had time to investigate).

They may have changed the software.

Andrew's upstream server is using something that greeted his fetchnews
as NNTPSwitch-0.10-CVS-20040310 on April 4th.  Apparently, this is the
http://www.nntpswitch.org/ software - it is an NNTP proxy (load
balancer) advertised for ISP use, apparently developed in the
Netherlands (at least, Amsterdam is where the registrant of
nntpswitch.org is supposed to live).

William, if your server uses nntpswitch (just doing "telnet
my.server.example 119", then typing "quit" after you're connected will
tell you), I should file a request for enhancement with the NNTPSwitch
author, Tommy van Leeuwen.

Let me know if your upstream uses NNTPSwitch.

Cheers,