Re: [leafnode-list] Howto force AUTH on a leafnode server

Xavier Maillard schrieb am 2004-04-30:

> I am new at leafnode which is really cool.
>
> I  have  a  question,  is  there  any  possibility  to  allow  users  to
> authenticate against my NNTP server ?

leafnode-2, which has not yet been officially released, supports a local
file in user:encryptedpassword format for authentication or PAM. PAM has
been reported not to work with system accounts (unix_chkpwd problems as
it seems) but anything that does not require root privileges to access
some file should be fine.

http://home.pages.de/~mandree/leafnode/beta/

Leafnode-1 cannot authenticate users, a possible solution to that
problem would be to install an SSL wrapper with strict certificate
validation and let the user authenticate with his certificate, or write
an authentication wrapper that refuses any command until authenticated.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95