Re: [leafnode-list] Poll about leafnode 1.9's future distribution

* Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> [2004-06-01 17:55 +0200]:

> Dear reader,
>
> as you may know, leafnode ships with a full PCRE 3.9 distribution
> included, to simplify installation.
>
> Given that most operating systems come with PCRE and bzip2 or have
> up-to-date PCRE and bzip2 packages from third parties, and the PCRE
> stuff that leafnode is shipping is outdated (PCRE 4.5 is current),
> I am considering to release 1.9.55 as 1.10.0 with PCRE removed and as a
> .tar.bz2 file only (no .tar.gz offered).
>
> To give you some figures, this is the leafnode 1.9.54 tarball size:
>
>    With PCRE, gzip:  854322
> Without PCRE, gzip:  459164
>
>    With PCRE, bzip2: 705724
> Without PCRE, bzip2: 381859
>
> Feedback is solicited, let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Slackware has had PCRE and bzip2 since at least 8.1 (mid-2002).
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
  -Albert Einstein.