[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [leafnode-list] configure script suggestion
- To: leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [leafnode-list] configure script suggestion
- From: Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:45:35 +0200
- Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:45:50 +0200
- List-id: Discussions on the Leafnode Usenet software package <leafnode-list.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
- User-agent: Gnus/5.110003 (No Gnus v0.3) Emacs/21.3 (gnu/linux)
"Cory C. Albrecht" <cory+spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Since fetchnews appears to only try the next IP address for a hostname
> rather then retrying to open a connection, this means that for me
> connecting to the first server n the config file fails 75% of the time
> (or more) my primary news server only has one IP address.
The kernel re-sends the SYN packets for a while so losing the first one
isn't a problem.
> With the primary listed first in config, this meant that out going
> posts usually failed since fetchnews couldn't conenct to it and that I
> would get no new news. :-(
I'd turn things around and run fetchnews from /etc/ppp/ip-up
instead. You can for instance ping your news server to trigger the dial.
> It would be nice if on the config file there were a retries parameter.
I'm not going to add such a feature, solving the network-layer problems
of dial-on-demand is out of leafnode's scope.
Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95
leafnode-list mailing list