Re: [leafnode-list] configure script suggestion

"Cory C. Albrecht" <cory+spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Since fetchnews appears to only try the next IP address for a hostname
> rather then retrying to open a connection, this means that for me
> connecting to the first server n the config file fails 75% of the time
> (or more) my primary news server only has one IP address.

The kernel re-sends the SYN packets for a while so losing the first one
isn't a problem.

> With the primary listed first in config, this meant that out going
> posts usually failed since fetchnews couldn't conenct to it and that I
> would get no new news. :-(

I'd turn things around and run fetchnews from /etc/ppp/ip-up
instead. You can for instance ping your news server to trigger the dial.

> It would be nice if on the config file there were a retries parameter.

I'm not going to add such a feature, solving the network-layer problems
of dial-on-demand is out of leafnode's scope.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95