Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode-1.10.x texpire "relinked message" problem

Matthias Andree schrieb am 2004-08-11:

> the log shows evidence that texpire first re-links a message only to
> claim later it hadn't been seen in the group scan. Something is
> certainly wrong, I'm still trying to find the problem.

Some more things:

The log showed
Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/o/l/a
Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/l/c/m
Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/i
Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/g
Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/e/m/w

Where does this overview directory with its subdirectories come from?
It's not leafnode's! Is there some other software accessing
/var/spool/news? What software was installed or updated over the past
three months?

Another software accessing /var/spool/news might explain why leafnode's
articles stopped expiring.

So my suggestion is:

1. get a current reiserfsck version and run it on your spool directory.

2. identify and remove the other software that accesses /var/spool/news

3. after that, remember that texpire will expire articles after their
   last read date (atime) rather than their arrival date (mtime).
   If you want to expire articles after arrival time, use the "-f"
   option of texpire.

I don't currently see how, other than by another application that
considers /var/spool/news its own, an undetected file system corruption
or through a kernel bug, texpire would fail.

I have read the code four times, run texpire under valgrind and strace
supervision, the Message-ID file and relinking stuff seems to be fine.

Please let me know what you find.

NOTE YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE MY MAIL IF YOU'RE USING SPF!
Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)