Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode-1.10.x texpire "relinked message" problem

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:58:22 +0200, you wrote:

> Matthias Andree schrieb am 2004-08-11:
>
> > the log shows evidence that texpire first re-links a message only to
> > claim later it hadn't been seen in the group scan. Something is
> > certainly wrong, I'm still trying to find the problem.
>
> Some more things:
>
> The log showed
> Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/o/l/a
> Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/l/c/m
> Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/i
> Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/g
> Aug  5 09:43:44 bali texpire[2049]: removed .overview file for /var/spool/news/overview/c/e/m/w
>
> Where does this overview directory with its subdirectories come from?
> It's not leafnode's! Is there some other software accessing
> /var/spool/news? What software was installed or updated over the past
> three months?

These are from an previous inn installation, more then 2.5 years old. I
will remove them.

> Another software accessing /var/spool/news might explain why leafnode's
> articles stopped expiring.
>
> So my suggestion is:
>
> 1. get a current reiserfsck version and run it on your spool directory.

Done that already with no faults found.

> 2. identify and remove the other software that accesses /var/spool/news

Hmm, I use a somewhat modified version of freshnews to schedule the
fetchnews sessions. I'll kill it and check.

> 3. after that, remember that texpire will expire articles after their
>    last read date (atime) rather than their arrival date (mtime).
>    If you want to expire articles after arrival time, use the "-f"
>    option of texpire.

I did not realize that.

> I don't currently see how, other than by another application that
> considers /var/spool/news its own, an undetected file system corruption
> or through a kernel bug, texpire would fail.
>
> I have read the code four times, run texpire under valgrind and strace
> supervision, the Message-ID file and relinking stuff seems to be fine.
>
> Please let me know what you find.

I'll tell you what happens after killing the freshnews program and
cleaning up of the spool/news entries.

Thanks very much for your help,

Rein.
--