Re: [leafnode-list] using leafnode2 with post-only servers

From:           	Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> "Cory C. Albrecht" <cory+spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > However, 1 of my servers is a post only server but I can't seem to find
> > an equivalent config option to v1's noread option. It's rather silly
> > for fetchnews to be trying to retrieve articles from a server that wont
> > have any.

> Indeed the nopost and noread options aren't part of leafnode-2.

Why not? They are simple eand easy to use.

> Does something similar to this work in /etc/leafnode/config?
>
> ## Use this server only for posting:
> server           = post.only.example.com
> # prevent active file download:
> noactive         = 1
> # only download from groups without name -- as there are no groups
> # without name, this means "don't fetch any groups":
> only_groups_pcre = ^$
> # override only_groups_pcre for posting:
> post_anygroup    = 1

No good. Still tried to read from that server.

A little more info: Not only is this a post only server, but because it adds a
"posted at" header and footer to all articles I only want ot use it to post to
certain newsgroups. The server I get alt.binaries.* from is good on retrieval,
and while small text-only posts are fine it slows to a crawl on large posts of
binaries. I can handle the header & footer added on by this server for the
speed increase in posts of binaries, but I don't want them in my posts to text-
only groups where I am an active participant.

In leafnode v1 I had my the servers in my config file basically like this:

    Post only server, used noread & noactive, only_groups_pcre=^alt\.binaries\..*
    so only posts to alt.binaries.* would go to it and nothing get read

    Main server, authentication required, it doesn't have binaries but they were
    accepted by the previous server so leafnode didn't try to post binaries

    Binaries server,  also a fill server, has some text groups that the mains
    erver doesn't have,  post_anygroup=1 so as to catch anything that the main
    server didn't get

    3-4 fill servers, some with binaries, some without, all set nopost=1

    news.microsodt.com and news.spamcop.set from microsft.* and spamcop.*
    hierarchies, used only_groups_pcre so leafnode wouldn't try to post to or read
    from groups they don't have

As you can see nopost & noread were quite useful to me. Nopost is take care of
by feedtype=NONE, but I need something to prevent reading for a post only
server.
--
Cory C. Albrecht
http://cory.doesntexist.com/