Re: [leafnode-list] files outin .going and files modes

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Cory C. Albrecht wrote:

> With leafnode v2 there have been some files hanging around in the
> out.going director, even after several runs of fetchnews. I read
> somewhere about the file mode was used to allow fetchnews to determine
> which could be sent and then erased and which needed to be ignored
> because leafnode was still writing to them. So I chmod'ed the files
> accordingly, rand fetchnews manually with -vvvv and watched them go
> out.

Leafnode-2 goes another way to make sure only complete posts appear in
out.going - it receives new posts in temp.files/ and only after they've
been completely received will the files be linked to out.going (for
posts to upstream) or to in.coming (for local groups and when
no_direct_spool is unset). Leafnode-2 checks if the group is available
upstream (override with post_anygroup = 1) and if the article is
available upstream (STAT command unless it is known the upstream server
breaks on STAT and needs HEAD instead).

Permissions are currently used to track if a post has been received by
any upstream server, setting the u+x bit is actually dangerous because
it makes fetchnews believe it has already successfully posted the
article before.

> But now it's happening again and they aren't getting sent by fetchnews
> (and not being moved to failed.postings). Unfortunately I can't find
> where the heck it was that i read this bout the file modes. Could
> somebody tell me where that is?

That was in leafnode-1 and no longer applies to the recent leafnode-2
snapshots.

NOTE YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE MY MAIL IF YOU'RE USING SPF!
Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)