Re: [leafnode-list] fetching the active file

Cory C. Albrecht schrieb am 2004-08-29:

> Last nigth before going to bed I ran fetchnews with -f to get the
> active file for each server in my config (leafnode v2). This morning,
> after running once every hour over night, it's still getting the active
> file for each and every server. According to the logs one server has
> been timing out on connect so it's active file hasn't been read.
>
> But why does that mean that fetchnews must get the file for _every_
> server the next time it runs?
>
> Slo, since this was a forced active file update instead of one based on
> file times from /var/spool/news/leaf.node, where is stored to redo
> this?

An active upgrade sets a permanent mark "update active file" that is
only cleared when all servers have successfully been queried.

Leafnode does not currently keep an active file per server in order to
conserver space with highly redundant links but is for that reason  more
prone to errors during active file download. This is already in the
leafnode-2 TODO file and will be addressed as time permits.

As a workaround, you can use

touch /var/spool/news/leaf.node/\:active.read

but this makes leafnode believe the active file were current, so you
need to remember yourself to run fetchnews -f the next time all servers
are up at the same time.

I hope that helps for the moment,

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)