Re: [leafnode-list] texpire failing to expire

Robert Marshall <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Even with the new version without -f
>
> alt.folklore.computers: 201 articles deleted, 5337 kept
>
> at least that is an improvement! but after that with -f
>
> alt.folklore.computers: 0 articles deleted, 5337 kept
>
> my guess is that -f should get rid of all but 600 of them - there are
> still articles dating back to May 23rd

Could you show me the lsmac.pl output for some of the old articles (half
a dozen is sufficient) and perhaps one corresponding header?

And try grepping for the Message-ID of one of these old articles in the
same group - it should dig up some files which have the Message-ID you
grepped for in their References: line.

"Should get rid" is dangerous to use with leafnode-2's texpire -- thanks
to Stefan Wiens' contribution in 2001, it expires threads. This means:
When a single article in a thread has been read within the expire
period, the whole thread will be left on disk and it will not expire.

OTOH, it isn't too likely a thread lasts for four months and dominates a
group for such a long time.

I'm wondering if we need a switch to revert to leafnode-1 behaviour,
expiring each article individually, or alternatively, a hard expire
limit that lets an article expire in spite of it being part of a thread.

I also see lines like these:
2004-08-13 22:55:20Z 2004-08-11 18:09:34Z 2004-09-10 01:13:06Z   2     1135 /var/spool/leafnode/de/rec/fotografie/60306

which means the file has been created at August 11th (2nd column) and
last read a few minutes ago. The groupexpire is 10, the global expire 15
days - so the article is actually too old when looked at individually.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)