[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[leafnode-list] [PATCH] Experimental patch to mmap active file for speed


I have been playing around with leafnode for a couple of years now and one
thing that I have noticed is that it takes quite a bit of time to start up
the leafnode process. As far as I can tell, a lot of time is spent in the
readactive() routine that loads the list of groups.

I am attaching a quick experiment with mmap'ing the groupinfo file before it
is processed to try and speed up the loading. On both machines I tested
this on, this cut about 50% off the delay in posting a new article, which
is the place where I really notice the delay.

I'm not sure if this will be of any real interest, but I'm throwing it out
just in case. If the attachment does not come through the list, I'll repost
the diff inline.

- Rob 

GnuPG key: <http://www.exiter.com/gnupg/clark.asc> ID: 0xB13B653B
( 10:34pm up  7:43, 7 users, load average: 0.20, 0.28, 0.31)

At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
the computer.
leafnode-list mailing list