Re: [leafnode-list] Groupinfo file damaged ... ???

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 06:54:36AM +0000, Timo Geusch wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 03:39:46AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > "Jeff Grossman" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I noticed the same thing about a week ago and have meaning to
> > > send a message to the list about it.  I get that same line in
> > > my log file.  But, my line looks like the original poster, not
> > > like the one you mentioned Matthias.  I am also running
> > > 20041113a.  Here is a copy of the line:
> > >
> > > Dec 10 06:00:03 apple fetchnews[24259]: Groupinfo file
> > > damaged, ignoring line: 6
> > > 3
> > >
> > > The line number keeps changing on me.  I did a locate command,
> > > and only have one of each of those programs on my computer.
> >
> > Gee. That line changed after 20041113a in my source repository. Please
> > apologize the confusion. I take that question back.
> >
> > I wonder if there's bogus data from upstreams or if there's some issue
> > with the mmap() stuff.
>
> FWIW I don't think it's bogus data from upstream. I've been seeing
> these messages for the last couple of days since upgrading to
> 20041113a and checked the lines in groupinfo that were reported as
> damaged.

I agree about it not being bogus upstream data.  I'm using leafnode
for a local-groups-only setup; i.e., no upstream data at all.

And besides, a few of us are getting this same error message with
the 20041113a version.

Also, I had accidentally sent a previous post to the wrong address,
so I'll repeat the gist of that message here:

In my earlier message, I spoke too soon: I now realize that the
message in syslog was was _not_, after all, coming from an older
leafnode version.

In lines 531-532 of leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20041113a/activutil.c, I see
this:

  ln_log_sys(LNLOG_SERR, LNLOG_CTOP,
             "Groupinfo file damaged, ignoring line: %s", p);

In other words, it's the old version of the message, not the new one
that you (Matthias) described.  I guess this is consistent with what
you said above about the line having changed in your source
repository _after_ the 20041113a release.

> This was on a FreeBSD 4.10-stable system, btw.

... and my system is FreeBSD 4.0.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx