Re: [leafnode-list] Problems with reading from newsgroups (501 no such list available)

I don't understand why the "501 no such list available" error is
occuring, I have never seen it before until now.
It means that their news server doesn't have such a list. I've tried
to connect to that server but it requires authentication. On my
ISP's news server, I can telnet to it's nntp port (119) and run an
interactive session. It supports a "help" command that lists all
acceptable/supported commands. So does my local leafnode2.

See if your server supports "list newsgroups"

I tried the same thing, but seems like help doesn't even work on my isp's server unless I'm authenticated... and I can't figure out how to authenticate myself since telnet lets me in with out challenging me for credentials.... any idea?

Did you add this immediately after the corresponding server
declartion? Leafnode2 man page says:
nodesc = 1
(Note spaces)

I don't remember the parseable format variations.

I have that, and its no help... here's a snippet of the top of my config file:

## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
server = newsgroups.comcast.net
nodesc = 1

## Unread articles will be deleted after this many days if
## you ý?wÍt define special expire times. Mandatory.
expire = 10