[leafnode-list] A beginners question

Hello all!

I have just started to familiarize myself with the concept of usenet servers, message flow, up/downstream servers and so on. I have gone through the chapters I initially believe are relevant in the Usenet News HOWTO and also the FAQ for Leafnode.

I'm not sure that I understand the concept of upstream/downstream servers correctly. Let me try to explain and please correct me at any point:

The Usenet News HOWTO says
"Therefore, we use the term ``upstream server'' to refer to the server from which we receive the bulk of our daily dose of articles, and ``downstream server'' to refer to those servers which receive the bulk dose of articles from us."

In a normal single user environment where the user has access to usenet through the ISP the downstream and upstream server is the same server. The reader polls the server now and then and newly composed articles are delivered from the reader to the server.

What I want to do is to set up a news server for a small group with less than 10 users at work due to the fact that our ISP does not have a news server anymore. Do I need to have access to a "normal" (read: ISP-type) news server to be able to have a working news solution w/ local Leafnode or are there "backbone" servers somewhere which I can connect my Leafnode to? My guess is the former.

All and any replies are welcome.

--
Torbjørn Heltne