Re: [leafnode-list] Strange problem with 2.0.0.alpha20050412a

John Carlyle-Clarke schrieb am 2005-05-06:

> I am seeing an odd problem, and I can't work out if it's a problem
> with a remote server, or a leafnode problem.

Looking at the log and the remote article: A problem with the remote server.

> Since this first appeared during my 4am fetch, I have not got any
> new articles appearing.

The workaround is to run fetchnews with -x argument so that fetchnews
will back up so much that it starts fetching at article 4220. At this
time, -x 31 is sufficient, the more articles have arrived, the higher
the number you'd use.

I'd recommend to run fetchnews -evvvx31 -S discussion.autodesk.com
and watch the output, possibly bumping up the 31 as required.

> Here is an extract from the log which shows the strange behaviour:
>
> May  6 06:00:13 pc69 fetchnews[6347]: discussion.autodesk.com: 0
> articles posted
> May  6 06:00:15 pc69 fetchnews[6347]: autodesk.vault: considering 2
> articles 4219 - 4220, using XOVER
> May  6 06:00:15 pc69 fetchnews[6347]: autodesk.vault: XOVER: 2 seen,
> 0 I have, 0 filtered, 2 to get
> May  6 06:00:15 pc69 fetchnews[6347]: autodesk.vault: will fetch 2
> articles
> May  6 06:00:15 pc69 fetchnews[6347]: store: More or less than one
> Path header found
> May  6 06:00:15 pc69 fetchnews[6347]: Wrong reply to ARTICLE
> command:

Turns out that discussion.autodesk.com (running borked Jive News from
http://www.jivesoftware.com/) is borked. Excerpt from ARTICLE 4219 in
newsgroup autodesk.vault, in "wire format", prefixed by "| ":

| When using the Move by drag n drop method in Vault Explorer, I recommend
| that you delete the "moved" files from your workspace immediately
| afterward=
| .
|
| Typically, after moving files, opening the assembly will resolve children
| from the previous location if left in the workspace. In this scenario,

This is bogus and violates the NNTP standard.
Bug #1: The server _MUST_ prefix all lines that start with a period with
another period, so the server should have sent

| afterward=
| ..
|
| Typically, after (...)

Please report this to the Autodesk support team and have them forward
this mail to jivesoftware.com.

Bug #2: They should also mention that the server does not add Path:
headers, which it also MUST do.

The relevant standards are:

RFC-977 section 2.4.1
RFC-1036 sections 2 and 2.1.6.

Nothing leafnode could do about this to work around such a broken
server.

So the solution is to have jivesoftware fix their b0rked Jive News and
then have autodesk install the updated Jive News.

Sorry - I can't help here.

Regards,
Matthias Andree
Leafnode Maintainer