Re: [leafnode-list] Can't get leafnode to work with news servers that work with clients.

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 23:55, Matthias Andree wrote:
> I've released 1.11.3 because 1.11.2 and older versions didn't check the
> timeout while fetchnews was reading the message headers (getfoldedline
> used the no-timeout version of getaline), please try 1.11.3 and see if
> the hangs go away. If they don't, I will need a backtrace...

I removed the Debian leafnode package (but did not purge it: this left the
cron jobs, config files and existing news spool) and compiled and
installed 1.11.3 from source (to /usr/local/...).  Then I copied my
config file to /etc/leafnode/config and created symlinks so the Debian
cron jobs would continue to run.  I also copied in touch_newsgroups.

The news version has solved problem 2: the processes now all finish within
a few minutes.  The syslog info and the mail spool, however, indicate
that my ISP's news servers are disconnecting before fetchnews gets all
the desired news.  I assume that is my ISP's fault!  Would it be possible
for fetchnews to attempt to reconnect instead of aborting when this
happens?

I've increased the cron fetchnews from once to three times an hour, and it
seems to be getting a greater proportion of the news now.  I may increase
it again and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Adam