Re: [leafnode-list] Common direcoty header for groups

On Monday 15 August 2005 16:05, Matthias Andree wrote:
> It would undoubtedly, but it would at the same time break existing
> setups. So Leafnode 1.X will not change this.
Fair enough, didn't expect so.

> But it's not as bleak as it might look at first glance: when mapping
> newsgroup name to file system name, leafnode maps all dots to slashes,
> i. e. the components of a group name make up the directory tree. On the
> other hand, all leafnode-internal directories have a period in their
> name. This guarantees that there are no collisions between group
> directories and leafnode-internal directories (which are rooted at the
> top-level exclusively in the current leafnode versions, although this
> may change for leafnode-2.)
Hadn't noticed that, tnx.

> I think moving everything to a common subdirectory such as news.articles
> would be feasible with minor code changes, and I'd considered doing this
> for a future leafnode-2 snapshot.
Goody.   :-)

> I hope this helps for the nonce. If it doesn't, please describe what
> you're trying to do in more detail, perhaps someone has a good idea how
> to solve it.
Nothing fancy:
- using "tree -d" to get an overview what groups exist on my server
- getting the space used per group, using:
    "du -Shm /var/spool/news/ | sort -nr | head -n 15 ; echo ; df -h"
- building stats per group of arrivals, to fine-tune the expiration settings
etc...

--
Werner Geuens
mailto:werner@xxxxxxxxxx